Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

April 20, 2018, 08:46:43 AM
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86]   Go Down

Author Topic: Post a picture of your recent purchase  (Read 315950 times)

Offline Kavik

• Waaaay to much time on their hands!

Re: Post a picture of your recent purchase
« Reply #2125 on: January 10, 2018, 03:15:48 PM »
It'll be a first for me, don't know if I've ever had a titanium anything lol
I'll make sure to have it on me if we get together for anything in the future  :mrgreen:

Fighting an urge right now for one more from the same site....

Kizer GBP1, another titanium handle and S35VN blade, but it's a bit of a monster for carrying.
Buuut, it's going for $100, can't seem to find it for lower than $220 anywhere else, so it's damn tempting, even if it ends up being a resale down the road
-Daryl (Albany)                                                                                   ಠ_ಠ
['14 Mazda3 SGT]     ['03 Sonic Yellow WRX Wagon]     ['05 WRB WRX Wagon]     ['02 PSM WRX Sedan]

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2126 on: January 21, 2018, 11:35:14 PM »
Will someone please take away my bank card?  :uglystupid2:
Did end up buying the one pictured above
And also this one :

This one is a MassDrop exclusive color, serialized and limited to 400 units, for whatever that's worth :roll:
Designed by Ferrum Forge, produced by WE Knives. 2.9" of S35vn steel, titanium framelock, ceramic ball bearing action

This one will probably stay as is, in blue....but i just found out that anodizing titanium is ridiculously easy, and i already have the equipment needed to do it.....so the Kizer and the Bestech are likely to see some color changes (whenever the damn things finally arrive)
-Daryl (Albany)                                                                                   ಠ_ಠ
['14 Mazda3 SGT]     ['03 Sonic Yellow WRX Wagon]     ['05 WRB WRX Wagon]     ['02 PSM WRX Sedan]

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

« Reply #2127 on: January 22, 2018, 07:46:55 AM »
Will someone please take away my bank card?  :uglystupid2:
Did end up buying the one pictured above
And also this one :

This one is a MassDrop exclusive color, serialized and limited to 400 units, for whatever that's worth :roll:
Designed by Ferrum Forge, produced by WE Knives. 2.9" of S35vn steel, titanium framelock, ceramic ball bearing action

This one will probably stay as is, in blue....but i just found out that anodizing titanium is ridiculously easy, and i already have the equipment needed to do it.....so the Kizer and the Bestech are likely to see some color changes (whenever the damn things finally arrive)

You can also hit it with a torch to put color into Titanium.   :mrgreen:

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2128 on: January 22, 2018, 08:10:53 AM »
You certainly can, but I'm a little less clear on how reversible that process is? I know that doing it with electricity it's easily stripped back to bare metal, does torching it penetrate the surface and go down into the metal? I'll be looking into that method too, just haven't really researched it yet.

Electricity seems like an easier method for getting even colors throughout though,  with repeatable results, and has the benefit of being able to create distinct patterns with masks

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

« Reply #2129 on: January 22, 2018, 02:32:59 PM »
You certainly can, but I'm a little less clear on how reversible that process is? I know that doing it with electricity it's easily stripped back to bare metal, does torching it penetrate the surface and go down into the metal? I'll be looking into that method too, just haven't really researched it yet.

Electricity seems like an easier method for getting even colors throughout though,  with repeatable results, and has the benefit of being able to create distinct patterns with masks

Haven't played around with un-doing it yet.  It probably depends on the color.  The longer you apply the heat, the more the color changes.  My guess is that it does go rather deep on all but the faintest color change.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #2130 on: January 22, 2018, 04:25:10 PM »
That's what worries me. The reversibe aspect of the electro-anodizing is what is going to give me the courage to try this on the knives without buying scrap titanium first lol
~10 seconds in Whink rust and strain remover apparently brings it right back to bare metal while only removing the most miniscule amounts of material  :mrgreen:

Though I will say, a well applied flame finish is very distinct over a solid color change
But I have a few ideas to improve over the plain solid color schemes   :coolsmiley:
Pages: 1 ... 84 85 [86]   Go Up