Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

September 20, 2018, 07:37:45 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: what first vf39?  (Read 2219 times)

Offline RE543

what first vf39?
« on: January 02, 2014, 12:51:22 AM »
Im having trouble figuring out what I want to do first to my car. I love it but think I want to upgrade the turbo to a vf39. Ive asked around about what I need and I think I know what needs to be done or what I need. I want my car to be fun to dr. Thats my goal. I dont need crazy power and dont wanna build a motor. I dont wanna go crazy and want to have a reliable daily driver. So I thought do a vf39 turno upgrade.  Ive head a can slap it in and do a tune and be fine for the time being. But eventually ill need sti injectors,  sti fuel pump, and probably exhaust.

So what else am I missing.  What do I need to have it safe if I needed to put the minimum in right now then add things on later. every mod it seems with turbo cars is a chain of expensive modifications to do one thing.

Is this a recommended upgrade? And what will i NEED to make it run right/ safe/ and reliably. And how much will it cost. And if you know anywhere to get anything I need it would also help.
05 wrx, 02 7.3 powerstroke. Subarus and counting 12plus

Offline Kavik

• Waaaay to much time on their hands!

Re: what first vf39?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:14 AM »
Not a direct answer to your question......but an exhaust and a tune will more or less get you to stock Sti levels without touching injectors or turbo.
If your end goal is to do all that eventually, but do it in stages, if it were me I'd do the exhaust and tune first and the injectors and turbo second
-Daryl (Albany)                                                                                   ಠ_ಠ
['14 Mazda3 SGT]     ['03 Sonic Yellow WRX Wagon]     ['05 WRB WRX Wagon]     ['02 PSM WRX Sedan]

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2014, 08:38:02 AM »
Not a direct answer to your question......but an exhaust and a tune will more or less get you to stock Sti levels without touching injectors or turbo.
If your end goal is to do all that eventually, but do it in stages, if it were me I'd do the exhaust and tune first and the injectors and turbo second

I second this strategy, with 1 addition.
1-Turboback Exhaust and a Tune.
2-Larger Intercooler (STi take-off would be pretty solid) and a Tune
3-Turbo and Injectors and a Tune

Offline RE543

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 01:08:52 PM »
I see the point in doing exhaust first but its like 2-3 times more expensive if I start with that rather the buy the turbo and at least be able to run with it without anything else and a tune. Eventually id upgrade everything else but my mentality is if I have the vf39 in ill pretty much to forced to eventually upgrade everything else with it. I feel as if I do exhaust first I wont end up doing the turbo swap.

Offline zeedeveel55

• Take it deep.

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2014, 01:32:03 PM »
While you have the turbo off, do the up pipe and downpipe at the very least. You will be kicking yourself if you don't do these and you want to do it after. Plus the 05 wrx has a catted up pipe which has been known to fail and had pieces fly into the turbo rendering it useless. You will then need at least a fuel pump, but you should definitely get the 06-07 wrx injectors, or sti injectors (both 565cc i believe). While you're in there you should do an STI top mount. The only really optional thing would be a cat back exhaust, but is generally recommended because why tune it just to re-tune it again for an exhaust.

Vf39 - 400?
sti top mount - 300?
down pipe - 400ish?
up pipe (06-07 wrx were already catless) -  60 bucks if you can find it
injectors - 200?
fuel pump - 100
cat back exhaust - 400?
you're looking at like 1800 bucks not including the 3-400 dollar tune (which you'll have to redo if you keep adding power parts like exhaust and injectors. (give or take depending on quality of parts and the tuner)

300whp/350crank max i think

or

800 dollar full exhaust (probably cheaper), 400 dollar tune (or cheaper depending on who does it)
i'd still recommend doing the up pipe on this build too.

probably will get you like 225whp 290crank

You can dick around with getting a big turbo and then keep adding parts to it, but I would recommend you pulling the trigger on everything at once. If not, then your best bet would just to do a stage 2 tune with an exhaust.

or do what you want. I'm not your father.
This sig is on a diet as per Kavik. All hail HypnoKAVIK!!!

STI Wagon like a melon farmer over in this som bitch.

Offline RE543

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 02:36:57 PM »
Im just trying to get a feel for what the smartest thing to do was. Im kicking myself now because when I first got the car I got new cats put in by the fealer. When I had a cobb dp in there befor. Which really sucks....a lot. I might have a buddy who has a vf39 I could get. There are invidia dps for around 300 ive found. The only reason I was looking to do it little by little is because being 17 I just cant afford everything at once.

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 02:38:09 PM »
I see the point in doing exhaust first but its like 2-3 times more expensive if I start with that rather the buy the turbo and at least be able to run with it without anything else and a tune. Eventually id upgrade everything else but my mentality is if I have the vf39 in ill pretty much to forced to eventually upgrade everything else with it. I feel as if I do exhaust first I wont end up doing the turbo swap.

It's your car, by all means go for what you want.  :evil: Believe me though:  you WILL put that turbo on after an exhaust/tune.  Exhaust/tune is the gateway drug for modding these cars.   :coolsmiley:

If you don't know the entire history of your car, making sure the engine is healthy enough to take more power is probably a good idea.  New spark plugs, fluids, serpentine belt(s), and a timing belt job, for example.  If you throw 2 grand into mods and then blow a ringland, that's going to sucketh the big one.

Offline zeedeveel55

• Take it deep.

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 02:49:14 PM »
Im just trying to get a feel for what the smartest thing to do was. Im kicking myself now because when I first got the car I got new cats put in by the fealer. When I had a cobb dp in there befor. Which really sucks....a lot. I might have a buddy who has a vf39 I could get. There are invidia dps for around 300 ive found. The only reason I was looking to do it little by little is because being 17 I just cant afford everything at once.

that being said, then I would definitely get yourself a good maintenance, a full exhaust, and a tune. Then I would definitely work on tuning the but behind the wheel....get it?... :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :2funny: :crazy2: :crazy2: :crazy2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2: :uglystupid2:.

But seriously. Get modest power, then learn to drive it. Maybe invest in some better brake pads and some endlinks. After a year or 2, re-evaluate and make a decision to get more powah.
This sig is on a diet as per Kavik. All hail HypnoKAVIK!!!

STI Wagon like a melon farmer over in this som bitch.

Offline RE543

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 03:40:30 PM »
Im not power crazy. When you said 300 that seemed like more than I wanted.  I just wannan make the car better in all aspects. Generally upgraded things. I know new drivers aren't ever the best drivers but I dont go crazy with the car. Im learning and will continue to do so. Maybe ill make the car handle better first before diving into power mods. But even at a time when im ready for power it will still be a lot and all at once is expensive.  I was considering an accessport beforr any of this but I dont know what kind of gains ill see with a stock car

Offline Kavik

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 03:41:35 PM »
It's your car, by all means go for what you want.  :evil: Believe me though:  you WILL put that turbo on after an exhaust/tune.  Exhaust/tune is the gateway drug for modding these cars.   :coolsmiley:

If you don't know the entire history of your car, making sure the engine is healthy enough to take more power is probably a good idea.  New spark plugs, fluids, serpentine belt(s), and a timing belt job, for example.  If you throw 2 grand into mods and then blow a ringland, that's going to sucketh the big one.

compression/leak down test would be a nice, cheap test to throw in there at the same time  :mrgreen:
-Daryl (Albany)                                                                                   ಠ_ಠ
['14 Mazda3 SGT]     ['03 Sonic Yellow WRX Wagon]     ['05 WRB WRX Wagon]     ['02 PSM WRX Sedan]

Offline RE543

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 03:48:07 PM »
I was planning on seeing fred sometime soon although he hasnt messaged me back. Ive been having o2 sensor problems since ive owned the csr. I had it fixed for a while, or so I thought,  but the light recently came on again. I was going to see him a long time ago but once I thought it was fixed I didnt feel the need. Now I just want to take it to him before I do any mods. But im also trying to get a feel for what the first thing to do would be

Offline hydrochloric

• Car potpourri is my speciality!

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:51:44 PM »
The WRX's stock power is plenty adequate for a first time driver.  At 300WHP you're just asking for trouble, with the law, with a ditch, with the wallet...  If you really want to make it better in all aspects, improve the weak points first.  Suspension, brakes, tires, at which point the car will be capable of handling more power.  Take it from someone who did add a lot of power (albeit in a less-capable chassis, to be fair)- my suspension was not up to the task, and it was mildly improved already.  Every time I went near the gas in corners, the front tires would spin and the understeer would get even worse.  A driving style change and a larger RSB fixed it mostly.

I'm not saying don't get a tune, but since you're discovering doing the turbo upgrade isn't as ideal as hoped, improve other parts of the car, get used to it as is, save up, and then add more power.  :mrgreen:
-'00 BRP 2.5RS- rustbucket DD with SUPERCHARGED! junkyard engine  :D  -'66 VW Type III 1600 Squareback- Survivor, 42k miles  -'83 944- mostly-un-broken track car  -'50 Hudson Commodore 6 TSD rally car  -'93 Audi S4- New DD.  Eventually.

Offline RE543

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2014, 09:14:20 PM »
Yeah im learning a lot and change my mind a lot. But I always want whats best.

Offline Pitman

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2014, 02:49:20 PM »
Everyone wants what's best all the time.

You will have to pay $$$$ to play. You have to consider the big three, materials, labor, knowledge. All of those are the biggest expense you will have.

I replied to your pm and told u a list for this same topic. About a week ago

Imo I'd fix the issues with the car, aquire a 3" dp, then get a pro tune from ray. My buddy had went from stage 2 ots map to rays protune and it felt like he added 30hp with just sitting in his car on a laptop.

Tires, suspension mods, maintaince are important things to look at

You don't need the accessport either. Opensource
Pages: [1]   Go Up