Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

January 21, 2020, 01:20:56 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wheel Weights - How much is too much?  (Read 2122 times)

Offline Clutch

Wheel Weights - How much is too much?
« on: April 11, 2015, 09:12:40 PM »
So I havent had to get a set of tires mounted on rims with a TPMS sensor before.  Got a new set of Cooper Ultra Touring CS5s mounted today, and one wheel took almost 8oz on the inside.  That seems really high.  I also noticed that the dot on the tire isn't at the valve stem.

Tires are brand new, and I wouldnt expect them to be so out of whack.  I can put that one on the back this year, but when I rotate them I'm worried there will be some front end shimmy.

Is the extra weight because of the TPMS?  Or just a bad tire?

Offline Photofixer

• Waaaay to much time on their hands!
  • I FIX IT!

Re: Wheel Weights - How much is too much?
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
I have been working on tire balancing machines for six years now and I have never really seen anything  that high.    Some tires are out of round , but then again   Those machines are usually never anchored to the floor  , calibrated weekly or  sensors cleaned.   Here's a precision piece of equipment covered in nine boxes of weights,  a hammer,  adapter cones,  ect.  Just experience talking here..     Truck tires usually calibrate in the 3.5 oz to 4.0 zone.

Most techs I have seen don't repeat the tire on the machine .. Meaning if it works properly you should be able to loosen the tire, rotate it slightly then secure. Perform a quick spin and it should repeat and come up 0.  Otherwise wheels are too dirty,  too much weight , weights put on 1/8 off where there suppose too .  ect .. 

2016 BCS Forester XT FB20DIT

Offline BlackParis

• Paris -"That's Hot"
    • Picasa Web Albums

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2015, 10:17:00 PM »
Only big mud tires took the full 4 oz ... Never 8.

I would suspect bent rim or bad tire...

As a tech I did rotate tires for anything above 2 ounces.... But I also never worked flat rate, just hourly so I always tried to do the job right not fast.
'03 Silverado 1500HD 4x4.. Black on Black leather, DiabloSport tune, 6.0/4L80 Daily - 218,000miles
'92 BMW k75 moto
'81 BMW 528i - Black, tan leather, Weekend Cruiser - 102,000miles -- oo==00==oo
'84 Toyota Supra - pending 7mgte swap - Project Racecar/MoneyPit - Unknown miles

Offline Clutch

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2015, 09:19:55 PM »
Yeah, that just confirms my suspicions. 

I dont think there were massive weights needed on the old set of tires, but I didnt look too closely before I took them to be changed out.  So maybe its a bad tire, but all four of them are pretty heavily weighted, so having all four bad seems very strange. 

Im pissed that they didnt dismount and rotate, and I know its because there was a line of people (and only one balancing machine).  How long do you think I have before I can go back and ask for a balance check/remount?  or should I just find someone that knows their way around a balancing machine? 

Offline Clutch

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2015, 12:10:18 PM »
So I figured I would post back with an update on my wheel balancing woes.

Turns out that the rims on my ride dont have the lip on the outside for wheel weights, so instead of using stick-on weights, the shop just put all of the weight on the back side.   Not good.

Took the car to another shop for a re-balance and alignment, and it drove like a completely different car.  Will have to keep that in mind for my future tire mounting needs.
Pages: [1]   Go Up