Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

December 15, 2018, 02:49:51 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ithaca WRX owner, looking for local talent  (Read 1082 times)

Offline lkaven

Ithaca WRX owner, looking for local talent
« on: September 01, 2016, 01:51:12 PM »
I'm Luke, owner of 06 WRX wagon in Ithaca.  Hi all!  My previous 02 WRX met an untimely fate on Route 79 on Christmas 2009 on a patch of black ice, but positively saved my life.  [Story on request]

I bought my 06 from Jeff Brady (formerly BRI Auto Engineering) up in Watertown, and it has his "conservative" map on it.  All stock except for the map.  Lets in 16psi in good conditions, and was perfect for squirting past almost anything.

But after recent service (timing belt, water pump), which involved disconnecting the battery, I noticed that my engine seems to be running a stock map, as far as I can tell.  It maxes at 12psi, and is smooth, but lacks that extra kick that spoiled me. 

Did the map revert after the battery was reconnected?  I admit I'm a little confused about the way maps are managed in the ECU.  Is there anyone nearby who could help me figure out what's going on?  Hopefully it's just flipping one map for another, but I don't know.

Really don't know where to get service these days.  Maguire is a revolving door, and all their best talent has scattered.  And they charge MSRP for parts. 

Offline BlackParis

• Waaaay to much time on their hands!
  • Paris -"That's Hot"
    • Picasa Web Albums

Re: Ithaca WRX owner, looking for local talent
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2016, 03:48:06 PM »
Being Ithaca, you might have better luck on CNYsubies.com finding a local.. Most of use here are "eastern upstate ny"

A tune is "flashed" onto the Ecu board, and would stay even if you lost power. So more than likely you should look to make sure you didn't damage a vacuum/boost line while you did your service, or perhaps the new belt is off one tooth at the crankshaft.

Another thing to look into is did he flash with an accessport or an opensource tactrix cable? If it was done with an accessport, and you have it you can plug it in and pull up and monitor some more helpful diagnostic PIDs.
'03 Silverado 1500HD 4x4.. Black on Black leather, DiabloSport tune, 6.0/4L80 Daily - 218,000miles
'92 BMW k75 moto
'81 BMW 528i - Black, tan leather, Weekend Cruiser - 102,000miles -- oo==00==oo
'84 Toyota Supra - pending 7mgte swap - Project Racecar/MoneyPit - Unknown miles

Offline lkaven

Re: Ithaca WRX owner, looking for local talent
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2016, 01:17:47 PM »
Oh my.  This is beginning to look worse.  I will check the other resource you mentioned.  But it sounds like my problem might be with the shop who did the work.

What would happen if the timing belt were off by one tooth?  Meanwhile, I will start to check for vacuum/boost leaks.  I thought the car seemed to have a good strong vacuum at idle, but that isn't conclusive. 
Pages: [1]   Go Up