Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

December 15, 2017, 07:17:22 AM
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Wagonzilla Boost/Vacuum Leak?  (Read 146 times)

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

Wagonzilla Boost/Vacuum Leak?
« on: December 06, 2017, 08:05:36 AM »
Pulling this out of my other thread.  Car is driveable and has only stalled once in 70 or 80 miles of around-town driving.  I have to drive everywhere in 1-gear-below where I should be.

The Saga continues.  Car's maxing out at 12psi right now.  I'm hearing 2 distinct turbo noises: the wooshing/boosting noise, and another noise that sounds like a very distinct turbine spinning.  If i had to guess, the wastegate is partially opening or fluttering.

Actuated the BCS with the battery and cleaned it and the BCS-to-turbo and BCS-to-Intake hoses.  Verified the restrictor pill is still in place.  Verified these hoses aren't leaking.  Will re-assemble and test tonight.  i might swap out some of the hardened rubber lines for newer tubing I have laying around and move the Pill over.  I have a used low-mile BCS incoming anyway.

I replaced the BCS and Wastegate Actuator.  I'm making 14PSI out of a targeted 19.  Thinking I was clever, I pressure tested the engine and thought I discovered that my BOV was leaking.  Quick internet search showed that it was just a symptom of pressurizing a hose that normally has vacuum into it that runs from the intake to the BOV.  I don't have a smoke test rig, which would probably have helped greatly here.

My thoughts:
-Possible leak on hot side.  All bolts that I removed are torqued appropriately.  I replaced the UP/Turbo, UP/PS Header, PS crossover, and PS header/block gaskets, but did not do any on the driver's side.  The engine DID sit for quite a while on the headers and oil pan, maybe there's a leak over there somewhere?
-Vacuum/boost leak in the mess of little hoses under and around the intake.
-Leak in intercooler.  Low probability, since it was never removed from the car (FMIC stayed buried/protected by bumper)

-What it Shouldn't be: Even though I have a mile of intake piping, all the clamps and joints are tight.  Intake manifold itself has fresh gaskets and is torqued appropriately.  When the turbo was out of the car, the shaft had no play and the blades spun freely.

Offline zeedeveel55

• Waaaay to much time on their hands!
  • Take it deep.

Re: Wagonzilla Boost/Vacuum Leak?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 04:29:23 PM »
IACV dirty sensor or messed up gasket?
This sig is on a diet as per Kavik. All hail HypnoKAVIK!!!

STI Wagon like a melon farmer over in this som bitch.

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 09:57:05 PM »
IACV dirty sensor or messed up gasket?

A good thought, I had that go bad about 4 years ago and replaced it.  I left the whole intake manifold assembled and moved the whole assembly to the new engine.  The symptoms aren't quite the same as when it went, my idle was in full Rice mode, revving up at every stop light.  :buck2:

Offline Happyhour

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 07:28:03 AM »
If you think itís a vacuum line I ordered all 3 of the lines that connect to the BCS brand new from Subaru (with restrictor pill) you could have. I ended up not needing them since I have a 3-port BCS and you no longer use the pill since itís not a bleed type system anymore.
13' GTR

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 07:52:20 AM »
If you think itís a vacuum line I ordered all 3 of the lines that connect to the BCS brand new from Subaru (with restrictor pill) you could have. I ended up not needing them since I have a 3-port BCS and you no longer use the pill since itís not a bleed type system anymore.
Thanks for the offer.  I have another set I got from my donor engine, in flawless shape, I should've remembered to try those.  I think I just have to swap the VF39/STI restrictor pill into the WRX donor line, then clamp on.  At least it's pretty easy to get to.
Pages: [1]   Go Up