Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

August 18, 2018, 05:53:56 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Catless inspection.  (Read 777 times)

Offline ryno509

Catless inspection.
« on: February 06, 2018, 02:55:17 PM »
Hi,
I haven't been around this forum much since I bought my car 6 years ago.

My mechanic switchds shops and can no longer do my inspections.

I'm running a stage 2 with a catless turbo-back. CEL has been turned off with my Dom Tune.
Any reccomendations?

Thanks.

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

Re: Catless inspection.
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 09:38:48 AM »
I've previously had good luck with quick lube type places; Valvolines, Jiffy Lubes, ETC. 

Offline ryno509

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
I've previously had good luck with quick lube type places; Valvolines, Jiffy Lubes, ETC.

Thanks Dave.

I mean even if it's blatantly obvious? And I thought it would fail with any aftermarket exhaust? - I haven't had a real inspection in about 10 years. Or is more relaxed now?

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
Thanks Dave.

I mean even if it's blatantly obvious? And I thought it would fail with any aftermarket exhaust? - I haven't had a real inspection in about 10 years. Or is more relaxed now?

Inspection rules and Traffic law differ on exhausts.  They used to differ in tint too, but the 2017 inspection rules change now matches them up. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I don't hold a NYS DMV inspectors license.

Inspection: Is there a muffler? Catalytic converter? No leaks in exhaust?
Traffic: ANY exhaust change that makes it louder than stock.

Who is doing the inspection is still a factor?  Small cheap oil change place with high turnover 'kids' doing inspection?  Mom and pop?  Big corporate chain?

Offline ryno509

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »
Inspection rules and Traffic law differ on exhausts.  They used to differ in tint too, but the 2017 inspection rules change now matches them up. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I don't hold a NYS DMV inspectors license.

Inspection: Is there a muffler? Catalytic converter? No leaks in exhaust?
Traffic: ANY exhaust change that makes it louder than stock.

Who is doing the inspection is still a factor?  Small cheap oil change place with high turnover 'kids' doing inspection?  Mom and pop?  Big corporate chain?

I guess that was my question. I am definitely not taking it to a dealer, but would I be better taking it to a mom and pop place or a valvoline jiffy lube?
Honestly I'm nervous because I am selling the car and I don't want to have it fail and to end up having to put on the stock exhaust just to get it to pass then to sell it. I know that sounds like I'm cutting corners, just has a tune and all and I don't want to pay to get it re-flashed.

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
I guess that was my question. I am definitely not taking it to a dealer, but would I be better taking it to a mom and pop place or a valvoline jiffy lube?
Honestly I'm nervous because I am selling the car and I don't want to have it fail and to end up having to put on the stock exhaust just to get it to pass then to sell it. I know that sounds like I'm cutting corners, just has a tune and all and I don't want to pay to get it re-flashed.

If you know the people and the business, and feel comfortable, taking it to the small-time mechanic is probably a better bet.  If you don't, or don't want to inconvenience/potentially get them in trouble...take it to a quicklube type place. 

Offline Kavik

• Waaaay to much time on their hands!

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
When i was cat-less i always toyed with the idea of having a flaired section welded onto the pipe, with a dead o2 sensor threaded into it to pass the visual :2funny:
(i know, that's not helpful here.  I knew a guy most times, but when I didn't i got lucky with quick lube type places, when they were slow and just had some young kid working so didn't really care)
-Daryl (Albany)                                                                                   ಠ_ಠ
['14 Mazda3 SGT]     ['03 Sonic Yellow WRX Wagon]     ['05 WRB WRX Wagon]     ['02 PSM WRX Sedan]
Pages: [1]   Go Up