Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

December 12, 2019, 06:37:47 PM
Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: '01 Forester P0420 fix?  (Read 3982 times)

Offline ltrhead

'01 Forester P0420 fix?
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:43:11 PM »
Hello, my name is Larry. I am new to the forum. Thank you.

I am in Colorado. but the car now resides in Clifton Park and needs to be emissioned in NY state.
The '01 Forester recently showed a P0420 DTC. This could be due to a few issues; the primary cat, O2 sensor, exhaust leak, engine temp.
In Colo. we have a tailpipe sniff test; true emissions. In NY there are work-arounds for the ECU.
I consider myself a savvy amateur mechanic, but I am not there to help my daughter.

The car is older and has miles on it. I can not justify spending premium money to fix it.
The choices are 1) cheap auto parts store after market cats that won't last. 2) expensive after market or factory cats.
3) weld-in after market cats at a muffler shop. 4) O2 replacement. (If I were there I'd test both the O2 and the cat.)

And, I / she doesn't have a clue where to get quality work done for a reasonable price (no hopeful/guessing parts changers, please).

Or the last choice.
There are issues of ethics, the environment and the law. and I respect all that, but...
The O2 non-fouler spacer solution.
Maybe the cat is bad, but the car runs fine. This is the cheapest first step solution.
So who can, who will do this work? IM or email me please.

Thanks one and all very much. I appreciate it.
Larry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XHpl9pMDGc0
Pages: [1]   Go Up