Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

August 18, 2018, 05:55:33 PM
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: Legacy Chat Thread  (Read 27720 times)

Offline korpsepatrol

Re: Legacy Chat Thread
« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2011, 10:05:37 AM »
Yeah that front mount was a PIA to deal with and i gotta redo some of the way it is routed on my car since i think it makes contact with something.  So that will be my project the moment its over 50 degrees. 

Yeah they did get annoyed with the whole fmic issue, however not even tune alone but their customer service... sub par.  They seemed irate from the get go.  The hospitality that was "promised" do to the group day was not there at all.  So i will probably go back to Mike at ESP(sterling, ma) for my future tune.  I had issues in the past where a random leak appeared and he had no issues helping me out taking the time to dyno and road tune it. 

It was my mistake for setting up a group day at a place i wasn't personally familiar with and thanks to that, it will never happen again. 

Yeah i forgot to ask about your suspension setup, since if its lower your will want the .5 caster. 
2008 6mt Legacy Gt Spec B DGM - Not so Stock/Work in progress
2006 5mt Legacy Gt OBP - Sold
2005 5eat Legacy Gt OBP - RIP

Offline kholmes

• 2005 ABP Legacy GT 5MT

« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2011, 11:42:13 AM »
Yeah that front mount was a PIA to deal with and i gotta redo some of the way it is routed on my car since i think it makes contact with something.  So that will be my project the moment its over 50 degrees. 

Yeah they did get annoyed with the whole fmic issue, however not even tune alone but their customer service... sub par.  They seemed irate from the get go.  The hospitality that was "promised" do to the group day was not there at all.  So i will probably go back to Mike at ESP(sterling, ma) for my future tune.  I had issues in the past where a random leak appeared and he had no issues helping me out taking the time to dyno and road tune it. 

It was my mistake for setting up a group day at a place i wasn't personally familiar with and thanks to that, it will never happen again. 

Yeah i forgot to ask about your suspension setup, since if its lower your will want the .5 caster. 

Mine was rubbing on the grounding bolt next to the timing cover on the passenger side, the tow loop in the front passenger underside, as well as a timing cover bolt on the driver's side. I stuck radiator hose in all the spots as a shim to prevent rubbing. I have to replace them every so often as the bolts will tear through the rubber over time.. Still slowly wearing away at the pipes. They'll need to be repaired within the next 10Kmi I think.

George are you saying you'll never organize another Dyno day again? Or just no outings to places you don't have personal experience with? It was a long day last year but honestly not your fault. It seemed like those guys didn't know how to operate their dyno, or how a wideband works... And they've got positive reviews on nabisco..... Oh well!
2005 ABP LGT 5MT Limited - 320+whp - Stock exterior - Grandma's sedan

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator
  • Boring grey station wagon soccer mom

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:26 PM »
UNYSOC has gone to Moon a few times.  They were pretty patient from what I remember, and cool with us taking pics and video and being noobs.

Offline mrplow83

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2011, 01:08:26 PM »
I thought the guys at the Shop were decent.  I also have no other person to compare it to as of late but they did go through the trouble of trying to get my car's CEL's for the 02 sensor cleared. Meh...Wherever you guys want go as a group is fine with me.  Try new things..meet new people...make turbo go whoooosh...life goes on. :mrgreen:

I have heard good and bad things about Moon performance.  And as usual, if you guys need a place to work on shit inside..hit me up.
Current Rides
2011 Legacy 3.6R Limited
2007 F-150 4x4 XLT: DD, work in progress

gf: "Please, please can I take the Whoooosh for a ride?!"

Offline korpsepatrol

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2011, 01:24:58 PM »
Yeah i will have to take a look at all my pipes and joints on the fmic i have a good amount of hose left to use as sleeves for it.  

I will probably organize a few more meets and or dyno days once the weather gets warmer.  I have to be more active in the forums also, been rather busy with work, computer modding lately to even think about cars at the moment.  

Yeah but next time i will definitely have to take a trip out to the dyno i would book.  I might try EFI or Dent but if not i will stick with Mike from ESP he did my 05 and 06 with great success.  

Dave, didn't you guys bring dom to moon every time?  You guys never used the in-house tuner correct? 

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #55 on: February 08, 2011, 03:08:23 PM »
Dave, didn't you guys bring dom to moon every time?  You guys never used the in-house tuner correct? 

Correct.  Some of us used Seth when he was there, but we as a group rented the facility only.

Offline kholmes

• 2005 ABP Legacy GT 5MT

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2011, 06:59:27 PM »
I'm cool with ESP. We could get off 90 at some point for more scenic roads and some good ol' driving. There's a chance I may be attending a rally in Morocco this March for work. We're going to showcase our new product and I'm hoping they will need technical assistance in the field  :laugh:

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2011, 08:41:28 AM »
I'm cool with ESP. We could get off 90 at some point for more scenic roads and some good ol' driving. There's a chance I may be attending a rally in Morocco this March for work. We're going to showcase our new product and I'm hoping they will need technical assistance in the field  :laugh:

Lucky bastard.

Offline jms8313

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2011, 04:53:44 PM »
hey anyone have a borla exhaust? i ave heard them a few times, they sound similar to the spt but cost less.... i know george is gonna tell me the build quality isnt as good but shit its a really nice sound from what ive heard...without the highway drone of some of the others....any thoughts?
'05 LGT 5EAT -  K&N, H&R Springs/Bilstein HD shocks, Magnaflow CBE

Offline HDTurbo

• HQ vehicular and entertainment fanatic

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2011, 08:03:47 PM »
I have a Borla on my Spec b.  I bought the car a year ago and the exhaust is pretty quiet; as a noob to mods I didn't realize it had an aftermarket CBE.  Since then I've added an UP and DP and it's still pretty quiet, esp compared with the GMS CBE on my wagon !!
hey anyone have a borla exhaust? i ave heard them a few times, they sound similar to the spt but cost less.... i know george is gonna tell me the build quality isnt as good but shit its a really nice sound from what ive heard...without the highway drone of some of the others....any thoughts?
05.5 LGT RBP 5EAT Wagon Stage 2 Infamous Tuned, Invidia NC UP, ERZ catted DP, GMS CBE, IPR TMIC, TruCool Tranny Cooler, N-mount Bushing, Couple of stickers

06 Spec b (#410) Stage 3+ Infamous Tuned, BNR 18g, DW 850cc Inj, Walbro FP, Invidia NC UP, ERZ catted DP, IPR TMIC, Borla CBE, Hotchkis F&R Sways, AVO Rear Sway Mount Brackets, Kartboy Rear End Links, Rota Gravel 18x8 5X100 Hyper Black, Hankook Ventus V12 225/40/18, WheelTek Chrome Splinedrive Lugs, and Stickahhhs

Offline jms8313

« Reply #60 on: February 10, 2011, 11:16:08 PM »
awesome thanks for the response....how is the fit?

Offline korpsepatrol

« Reply #61 on: February 11, 2011, 01:28:00 PM »
y u hate?  :evil:.  

Yeah borla is fine its one of the quieter exhausts.  I believe the piping is 2.5 though which is my pet peeve on that exhaust.  There is very little to no drone on highway speeds.  The install is painless compared to some exhauts(*cough* invidia).  I will not stress build quality unless you ask  :wink:  Spt is next on the quiet spectrum.  

I would say this is how it goes off the top of my head in the sound spectrum(not quality lol) for lgt exhausts(if you need pipe diameters let me know):  
Stock,
Borla,
SPTv2,
Prodrive Mufflers,
Greddy SP2,
Megan quad/single,
Fujitsobo(spellcheck),
Invidia,
Cobb,
Avo,
Lachute v2,
HKS,
Agency Power,
X02/GMS/(the same design), (expect excessive drone after this point)
magnaflow,
Autospeed,
Blitz Nur-spec,
Lachute V1,
Stromung and
Perrin.  

I am leaving out a good amount of them since some are A) they are hard to find(Zerosports, K2, HiTech) B)WAY expensive for most C)Haven't heard them personally(yes i have personally heard all that are on that list)  

« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 01:34:36 PM by korpsepatrol »

Offline kholmes

• 2005 ABP Legacy GT 5MT

« Reply #62 on: February 11, 2011, 02:05:12 PM »
Wow I am a huge wussy. I thought my Invidia exhaust was a loud one. I almost went with the Borla. The Invidia has a fantastic sound though. I've been driving around Albany and had guys pull up in EVOs, Saab Viggens etc. that told me they normally hate Subaru's with exhausts - except they loved the Invidia. I got the 1st edition on super sale from FBP because of the crap fitment. Otherwise I was never going to get one. I prefer the stealth.

Offline korpsepatrol

« Reply #63 on: February 11, 2011, 02:14:45 PM »
Yeah i still miss my avo.  If i were to do it all over again i would do an avo cbe.  It is the sweetest sounding cbe IMHO.  I do love the stealth somewhat stockish look of the quad tip your/and my car now though. 

Offline kholmes

• 2005 ABP Legacy GT 5MT

« Reply #64 on: February 11, 2011, 02:41:34 PM »
Yeah i still miss my avo.  If i were to do it all over again i would do an avo cbe.  It is the sweetest sounding cbe IMHO.  I do love the stealth somewhat stockish look of the quad tip your/and my car now though. 

I've always loved the e39 M5 and although it's not a 5 liter v8.. it's a quad tip on a family sedan  :-D

Offline korpsepatrol

« Reply #65 on: February 11, 2011, 02:48:09 PM »
Dude your not the only one!  I love that model so much. 

I've always loved the e39 M5 and although it's not a 5 liter v8.. it's a quad tip on a family sedan  :-D

Offline jms8313

« Reply #66 on: February 11, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »
me too! that m5 is/was awesome

Offline kholmes

• 2005 ABP Legacy GT 5MT

« Reply #67 on: February 12, 2011, 10:52:17 AM »
So guys I've been thinking about selling the 2005 Legacy and getting something different (probably a Subaru :smitten:)

I'm going to part it out I think. I need to source a stock CBE & down pipe, injectors, and a VF40. Great opportunity if you're looking for an Invidia q300 exhaust with low miles, a catted Perrin DP that works great, 650cc or 850cc sidefeed injectors (I've got both), and a badass BNR 18g/td05 in a VF40 housing with 8cm2 exhaust. The turbo is capable of 330whp+ on pump 93, people are nearing 400whp on E85.

If you know anyone that wants to buy a 2005 Legacy GT ABP w/ the 5 speed manual let me know. It's got 70KMI on it. Stage 3+ for about 9KMI of that. Car pulls very hard and I've got the parts to make it go even faster still. Right now it will pull on 135i/335i's with a chip, Lexus IS F's etc. You will even make guys on sport bikes go  :-o Many supporting mods and it has always had a professional tune on it. I also log the car every month or so with a wideband. Oil is changed every 3,000KMI or 3 months, whichever is first - with Rotella T6 5w-40. I love the car but it's time for something else me thinks.

Offline mrplow83

« Reply #68 on: February 14, 2011, 08:35:56 AM »
So guys I've been thinking about selling the 2005 Legacy and getting something different (probably a Subaru :smitten:)

I'm going to part it out I think. I need to source a stock CBE & down pipe, injectors, and a VF40. Great opportunity if you're looking for an Invidia q300 exhaust with low miles, a catted Perrin DP that works great, 650cc or 850cc sidefeed injectors (I've got both), and a badass BNR 18g/td05 in a VF40 housing with 8cm2 exhaust. The turbo is capable of 330whp+ on pump 93, people are nearing 400whp on E85.

If you know anyone that wants to buy a 2005 Legacy GT ABP w/ the 5 speed manual let me know. It's got 70KMI on it. Stage 3+ for about 9KMI of that. Car pulls very hard and I've got the parts to make it go even faster still. Right now it will pull on 135i/335i's with a chip, Lexus IS F's etc. You will even make guys on sport bikes go  :-o Many supporting mods and it has always had a professional tune on it. I also log the car every month or so with a wideband. Oil is changed every 3,000KMI or 3 months, whichever is first - with Rotella T6 5w-40. I love the car but it's time for something else me thinks.

First:
Are you parting it out because you think you will get more from the car stock or you already had most of the stock parts?  Im just curious because if I ever wanted to sell mine it would be a good thing to factor in.  I would give you my UP DP but the stupid stock UP was damaged while taking it out so we trashed it, and I sold Fred my stock DP.  Check on LGT.com stuff like that goes all the time.  Plus check Lake Auto Parts in Burnt Hills they usually have great selection of used parts.

Second:
Id buy that car off you in a heartbeat if it wasn't Atlantic Blue Pearl. :2funny: GLWS :mrgreen:

Third:
Hey George, I have been seriously considering going to the Borla exhaust.  Is there really much of a performance difference between a 2.5" and 3" exhaust?  I was also looking at Gimmick Motorsports CBE, has anyone heard anything about these?  They're advertised on some of the aftermarket sites as being the newest craze.
Current Rides
2011 Legacy 3.6R Limited

Offline korpsepatrol

« Reply #69 on: February 14, 2011, 09:59:50 AM »
At our levels of mods the performance is difference is negligible.  The gms catback is the same as x02 from what i have seen and heard.  Its not really loud but its not quiet either.  For the money i would go with the gms its cheaper and its a 3 inch exhaust as well. 

If i am correct it and the fitment is the same as x02 you could also sell the mufflers and buy prodrives/cobb/perrin/avo if you so choose. 

Offline kholmes

• 2005 ABP Legacy GT 5MT

« Reply #70 on: February 14, 2011, 11:01:21 AM »
First:
Are you parting it out because you think you will get more from the car stock or you already had most of the stock parts?  Im just curious because if I ever wanted to sell mine it would be a good thing to factor in.  I would give you my UP DP but the stupid stock UP was damaged while taking it out so we trashed it, and I sold Fred my stock DP.  Check on LGT.com stuff like that goes all the time.  Plus check Lake Auto Parts in Burnt Hills they usually have great selection of used parts.

I've got almost all of the stock parts now. I'm mostly interested in the stock cbe, I'd like to switch back to a stock exhaust because it's much quieter. If I do sell the car I'm not sure how that will factor in. I'm going to leave all the group-n bushings in the car, shifter bushings, eibach springs, along with the clutchmasters clutch, and the perrin catless UP. I'm thinking about getting an Outback or Forrester in a five speed.. probably N/A.

Offline deadlydave

• Global Moderator

« Reply #71 on: February 14, 2011, 11:54:46 AM »
If i was still putzing around in my is300 i would be all over this,

I like that color, a set of bronze or gold wheels really sets it off.  A shame i drive a douchey wrx now.   :angel:

Offline mrplow83

« Reply #72 on: February 14, 2011, 02:20:53 PM »
If you are looking for stock CBE, I have 2 in my barn.  1 Is George's, the other is mine.  Id gladly sell it to you if the 5eat CBE is the same as the 5mt.  I can't remember if it is or not.
Current Rides
2011 Legacy 3.6R Limited

Offline korpsepatrol

« Reply #73 on: February 14, 2011, 02:45:15 PM »
Yeah the 5eat is the same exact as the 5mt.  I would sell you mine but the tips would be shorter than the 05-07.  I gotta sell that cbe though sorry for keeping it there this long.

If you are looking for stock CBE, I have 2 in my barn.  1 Is George's, the other is mine.  Id gladly sell it to you if the 5eat CBE is the same as the 5mt.  I can't remember if it is or not.

Offline mrplow83

« Reply #74 on: February 14, 2011, 06:05:56 PM »
I sent you a Pm.  Gimme a call on my cell because I check this maybe once every couple days.  

Also George, don't worry about it.  That little room is out of the way of everything and I use it as my own personal storage area.  That room now contains 2 outboard engines, some snowmobile stuff, and the exhausts.  If the barn falls down Ill call you :-P.

All this talk about exhausts and everything has got me excited about Spring.  The car needs some suspension upgrades and that transmission mount installed, and a tune check/retune. However, I am still on the fence about keeping the car and trading it in for something a little more sporty.  For $25-30k I can end up with a 07' Corvette,400hp, and 12-20k miles. Its food for thought.  I love my Subaru but considering I don't Auto-X, my dd has 4 wheel drive..and I think I drive my mother's Vette' more then she does.....damnit someone talk me out of this....I don't have a car payment anymore.....must stop....wanting ......gah! :uglystupid2:
Current Rides
2011 Legacy 3.6R Limited

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up