Please login or register.
Login with username, password and session length

UNYSOC.ORG - Upstate NY Subaru Owners Club

February 23, 2018, 10:52:15 PM

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Naturally Aspired Engines / Re: 2011 Impreza - Just threw P0420 code
« Last post by FastfreddyRs on February 20, 2018, 10:47:09 PM »
Cat if bad is covered to over 150k miles. 
« Last post by Clutch on February 20, 2018, 12:18:54 PM »
Thanks for the reassurance!  I cleaned the MAF, and tightened all of the connections yesterday, and cleared the code this morning before the drive in.  No return of the CEL, but its only been one drive cycle. 

Something did smell a little burn-y when I got out of my car at the office, so Ill have to dig into that a little bit more to make sure something bad isnt going on.  Fingers crossed that Im not signing myself up for a lot of wrenching in the next few weeks....
« Last post by deadlydave on February 20, 2018, 09:56:38 AM »
- Had car inspected a week or so ago, and took it to Hoffmans Jiffy Lube (dont hate, I was 3 months over on my sticker).  They of course pulled the filter to try and sell me a new one, and when I looked under the hood yesterday it looks like they just mashed it in there.  Wondering if there is an air leak near the MAF.

I think this is the likely culprit, and easiest to fix.  Sorry that the monkeys messed up such a simple job.  :-(
Naturally Aspired Engines / 2011 Impreza - Just threw P0420 code
« Last post by Clutch on February 19, 2018, 08:39:47 AM »
Good Morning All.

Driving home last night, I got a CEL, flashing cruise and the no stability control light, which is always what you like to see...  Pulled the code and its P0420.  A little googling tells me this can be all sorts of stuff, other than potentially a bad cat.  A little backstory:

- Had car inspected a week or so ago, and took it to Hoffmans Jiffy Lube (dont hate, I was 3 months over on my sticker).  They of course pulled the filter to try and sell me a new one, and when I looked under the hood yesterday it looks like they just mashed it in there.  Wondering if there is an air leak near the MAF.
- Replaced my alternator and A/C belt yesterday.  First time doing a stretch fit belt, and its a huge PITA to bar the engine over under compression.  I doubt this has anything to do with anything, but figured I would mention it.
- Put gas in it in VT on Saturday, but its a different station than I usually use.
- Have had an exhaust rattle for a while, but figure its a heat shield since the band clamp is broken and I havent wanted to wiggle around on my muddy driveway to fix it.

So saying all that any ideas on where I should start first?  I have about 82k on it, and keep up on all of my maintenance.  Ill check the air box and those connections and will clean the MAF, but not sure where to look next.  Any known spots for a vacuum leak I should check? 

I have an ultragauge, so I can monitor the O2 sensor voltage, any idea what I should be seeing if those are working OK?

End of the day, I really dont want to put a new cat in this thing.  (even though its from PA, so its the non-California emissions, but I cant get a cat shipped here unless its the silly expensive one.)

Any thoughts?
Newbs & FAQs / Re: Catless inspection.
« Last post by Kavik on February 16, 2018, 04:13:29 PM »
When i was cat-less i always toyed with the idea of having a flaired section welded onto the pipe, with a dead o2 sensor threaded into it to pass the visual :2funny:
(i know, that's not helpful here.  I knew a guy most times, but when I didn't i got lucky with quick lube type places, when they were slow and just had some young kid working so didn't really care)
« Last post by deadlydave on February 15, 2018, 08:55:53 AM »
I guess that was my question. I am definitely not taking it to a dealer, but would I be better taking it to a mom and pop place or a valvoline jiffy lube?
Honestly I'm nervous because I am selling the car and I don't want to have it fail and to end up having to put on the stock exhaust just to get it to pass then to sell it. I know that sounds like I'm cutting corners, just has a tune and all and I don't want to pay to get it re-flashed.

If you know the people and the business, and feel comfortable, taking it to the small-time mechanic is probably a better bet.  If you don't, or don't want to inconvenience/potentially get them in trouble...take it to a quicklube type place. 
« Last post by ryno509 on February 15, 2018, 08:51:08 AM »
Inspection rules and Traffic law differ on exhausts.  They used to differ in tint too, but the 2017 inspection rules change now matches them up. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I don't hold a NYS DMV inspectors license.

Inspection: Is there a muffler? Catalytic converter? No leaks in exhaust?
Traffic: ANY exhaust change that makes it louder than stock.

Who is doing the inspection is still a factor?  Small cheap oil change place with high turnover 'kids' doing inspection?  Mom and pop?  Big corporate chain?

I guess that was my question. I am definitely not taking it to a dealer, but would I be better taking it to a mom and pop place or a valvoline jiffy lube?
Honestly I'm nervous because I am selling the car and I don't want to have it fail and to end up having to put on the stock exhaust just to get it to pass then to sell it. I know that sounds like I'm cutting corners, just has a tune and all and I don't want to pay to get it re-flashed.
« Last post by deadlydave on February 08, 2018, 12:48:06 PM »
Thanks Dave.

I mean even if it's blatantly obvious? And I thought it would fail with any aftermarket exhaust? - I haven't had a real inspection in about 10 years. Or is more relaxed now?

Inspection rules and Traffic law differ on exhausts.  They used to differ in tint too, but the 2017 inspection rules change now matches them up. Disclaimer: I'm not a lawyer and I don't hold a NYS DMV inspectors license.

Inspection: Is there a muffler? Catalytic converter? No leaks in exhaust?
Traffic: ANY exhaust change that makes it louder than stock.

Who is doing the inspection is still a factor?  Small cheap oil change place with high turnover 'kids' doing inspection?  Mom and pop?  Big corporate chain?
The Lounge / Re: Smart commuter car decision help
« Last post by skyphix on February 07, 2018, 04:18:04 PM »
I commute 100-140mi/day and an additional 1000ish miles per month in a 2009 Accord 5 speed. Its far less boring than its predecessors, comfortable, and I get anywhere from 28-33mpg depending on traffic or whether I'm on the highway or not. With snow tires, I haven't had any issues on the ice and snow of downeast Maine.

Driving long distance is a requirement in this part of Maine if you dont want to spend 600k+ on a house, so here I am.
« Last post by ryno509 on February 07, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
I've previously had good luck with quick lube type places; Valvolines, Jiffy Lubes, ETC.

Thanks Dave.

I mean even if it's blatantly obvious? And I thought it would fail with any aftermarket exhaust? - I haven't had a real inspection in about 10 years. Or is more relaxed now?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10